Monday 14 July 2014

B2. Book Hunting


It is not usual that we spend this sum of money on buying reading material at one go, but the time has come for us to use the book voucher.  Not to mention, there are still many books in our keeping that we have not done reading.
This one title of book STEVE JOBS by Walter Isaacson seems to be a hot pick and I have been searching for it for some time.  This time I found it at IKANO Popular bookstore.

In fact, this was really a book hunt because we were targeting SUNWAY Pyramid in the beginning, but were turned off after seeing the reality of the traffic condition.  It is so hot nowadays that people are flocking supermarkets to cool off while doing some shopping or just killing off few hours before the ifftar.
The traffic towards Mutiara Damansara is no less heavy, but knowing the size of the CURVE we were confident that the car parking problem will be taken care of.  We were right, still few hundred parking are available.
There are three big bookstores around the CURVE so I was very sure at least one of the outlet will have the book that I search for.  We choose MPH as our first destination but unfortunately the target book was not there.
We moved to BORDER but were still unable to find the book.  At last I found the last copy at Popular, not in the best of condition, but I didn't waste any  more time.


Here is the list of the books we bought:

1.   STEVE JOBS by Walter Isaacson

 
Walter Isaacson, who served with CNN had became close to Steve, who regularly keep a close contact especially during the time a new apple product is in the midst of launching.
Steve, in few occasions had suggested to Walter that he should write a biography on his colourful career but Walter thinks it is still early.  Apparently Steve have kept the news of recent medical check up from Walter.
 




2.    400  RESIPI  TERBAIK  by  CHEF WAN

Chef Wan does not need introduction, at least in Asia.  A celebrity chef with jovial and warm personality.  This is the book that my wife has been searching, not with difficulty but I purposely waited until this time so that we can use the book voucher together.
 Chef Wan put in 400 recipes as the title of the book, but flipping inside, you will realise that there are more than 400 recipes he shares with us.  In fact there are 407 to be exact.  It covers all aspects of cooking and all types of dishes.
 
 Of course recipe book is not meant for reading but for practicing.  I have a personal target in using this book.  I will pick one dish that I am not familiar with and cook to the level of the chef within two weeks time, that is before the Eid Mubarak.  Can I do it?  Luckily my wife will also follow suit with different dish.  Who is the judge?
 Guest which dish I pick.  Originally I picked a rather out of this world dish but I couldn't even make out some of the ingredients, so I have changed my mind.  An easy one as a start. 
 
 



3.   Stephen  Hawking  by Kitty Ferguson

A very well known physicist with the theory of how the universe had begun.  Not that I do not have enough reference, but it is always my style of wanting to know of what other people are thinking, and the proof that he can put on the table. It is also mentioned that Hawking is probably having the intelligence only next to Einstein.  

There are many choices of book on Hawking but I have chosen this edition because it has the description about his life as well. 




4.   The Death of Mao  by James Palmer


I have read quite a number of books depicting the history on China, and my favourite have been the books written by Anchee Min about the Last Empress.  Currently I am also reading a book titled 1421, the year the Chinese were very active in sailing across the world. 
Somehow,  I feel there is a missing link, the period when Mao Zedong, who has been described as the leader during China transition era between old and modern. 
Thus I bought this book so that the missing link can somehow be closed. 



5.   Pedalling Around The Peninsula  by Sandra Loh


This is more on a lighter reading and very obvious from the title about what the writer have been up to.  I admire the guts and the perseverence, and I couldn't imagine myself in the similar circumtances, even though cycling is in my blood as well.

Looking forward to reading this book.



6.   Some easy stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment