Wednesday 22 October 2014

FN4. Is Debit Card really safe?

Not really.  I've gone through a bad experience last weekend when my bank account was hacked or in other word my debit card was used by 'somebody' in US.  Was I in US last weekend? I wasn't in US nor in Ulu Selangor, I was the whole day watching korea drama at home.

Here is how they (the hackers) operate;

1.  Clone the debit card (most probably)
2. Set up merchants to enable charging your card.
3. Charge many many times from the account in small amount each time.
4. Repeat the above process many times more.

The result;
As you can see in the above snapshot of my account debit, two charges amounting RM20++ have been 'successfully' transacted.  It was done on the same day, and looking at my available balance, there are some more in 'float' but again the amount is not so substantial each time.

What to do (in my case);
1. I immediately transferred the available balance to another bank's account which does not use debit card.
2. I reported to the bank by phone.  This is where I realised that the transactions have been done many many times just like trial and error and eventually some transactions managed to pass the supposedly strict safety procedures.  
3. Go to the bank's counter and fill up a so called 'disputed transaction form'.
4. Wait for the outcome of the investigation.

Have I done enough?
Well basically I am a little sceptical and phobia on using debit card and in fact I don't apply for any replacement card for now.  Maybe I am going back to withdrawing money from the counter.......oo dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment